1. Sludge wasting from secondary clarifiers, normally required in order to control _.
a. effluent BOD
b. effluent suspended solids
c. aerator mixed liquor solids
d. sludge settleablity
2. When organic wastes are discharged to receiving water, oxygen is depleted by _.
a. alage during the day
d. limestone rocks
3. Three water borne diseases are _.
a. mumps, measles, cold
b. scarlet fever, pneumonia, hay fever
c. typhoid fever, dysentery, cholera
d. tuberculosis, diphtheria, chickenpox
4. Acids should never be added to chlorine solutions because they _.
a. cause chlorine gas to be released
b. corrode or eat away the solution solution
c. decrease the disinfection properties of chlorine
d. result in the formation of the chloride precipitation
5. Which activated sludge process could handle shock loads of dairy waste most effectively?
a. high rate activated sludge
b. step feed
c. tapered aeration
d. conventional activated sludge