1. In many industries, the most effective way to reduce the amount of wastewater required treatment is to _.
a. install flow meters
b. modify the manufacturing process
c. practice flow equalization
d. use a common drain for all waste streams
2. Determine the recirculation ratio to a trickling filter if the influent flow is 0.25 MGD and there are two recycle feed pumps with a capacity of 100 gpm each.
3. If a pre-aerated grit chamber is aerated above the design guidelines, the following will occur _.
a. more accumulation of organics in the grit
b. less accumulation in the grit
c. distribution to the primary settling tanks will be upset
d. an increase in dissolved oxygen
4. The director of the State Office of Environmental Management may suspend or revoke an operator certification upon find the operator has _.
a. fraudulently obtained or attempted to obtain certification or renewal
b. performed the duties of an operator in a grossly negligent or incompetent manner
c. knowingly or negligently submitted misleading, inaccurate or false reports to the government
d. operated in a manner endangering public health or welfare
e. all the above
5. Which of the following is a gaseous by-product of septic wastewater?
a. carbon dioxide
b. carbon monoxide
c. hydrogen sulfide
2. a 100 gpm X 1440 min/day X 2 = 288,000 gpd 0.25 mgd = 250,000 gpd (288,000 gpd) / (250,000 gpd) =